Wednesday, May 25, 2005

What a Gorgeous Day

Today was a gorgeous day in Southern Coastal BC. I happily accepted the task of flying from Vancouver, past Gibsons, Sechelt, Texada Island and Powell River, to Campbell River, Thence on to Comox.

Built in the 1940's to help defend North America against the threat of Japanese attacks, the airport in Comox is still run by the Department of Defence. It is home the 19 wing of the Canadian Air Force, responsible for Maritime patrol and Search and Rescue, and also sees it's fair share of visitors from other wings of the Canadian Air Force, as well as the world. Today we shared the air with a P-3 Orion and some CF-18's. On the ground were some F-16's (American I'm assuming), as well as regular civilian aircraft that share the airport.

After leaving Comox we headed back to Vancouver, had a nice lunch and did it all over again in reverse. With the sunshine and the unrestricted views, it's the most gorgeous day of flying I've had so far, and there's still two more days to come.



Gibson, BC and Keats Island Posted by Hello


Sechelt Posted by Hello


Gillies Bay on Texada Island Posted by Hello


Texada Island with the Coast Mountains in the background Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Clint said...

hey--great site-I really enjoy your articles. keep up the postings and the pics. I am adding your site to my blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm a pilot from Texas, but I love the West coast of Canada and visit as often as possible... Great blog... I love this stuff!

Terry Long